Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A "Dark Forest Walk" with Mr. Michael Page


Liz's internet is out for some strange reason, so it's me again. Today I'm bringing you a wickedly cool artist by the name of Michael Page. I don't pretend to know a whole lot about the art world (ask me about shooting film or digital and we'll talk shop) but his stuff really appeals to me so I'ma spotlight him instead of a photographer I like. 

Mr. Page paints some creepy things. Most of his work showcases some kind of neat monster attacking people or spooky forests or pretty things riding weird things through the sky. The painting of his that I've picked out is entitled "Dark Forest Walk" and I rather enjoy the expressions on the faces of the creepers with the guns by the trees. 

His art is all wonderfully insightful about fun things like how the climate is being destroyed but there's generally a theme of love that runs throughout as well. A lot of his paintings have a young couple that is oblivious to the fact that there's something terrible chasing after them or watching from the trees, but some later pieces have the scaries right out in the - albeit dim - light of day while the lovers clutch each other in rather apparent terror. Frightening, yet beautiful while staying true to actual social commentary.

Take a look around his site, you won't be disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment